05 October 2008

Track

Yesterday at work, I was ringing up a man's Bible purchase and he said to me, "Do you know Jesus?" And then proceeded to hand me a track. I said, "Yes I do," and tried to give him his track back. I then said something to the effect of you can give this to someone who doesn't. He then said, "Well maybe you should double check and read this." Where he then handed the track back to me. I bit my tongue and smiled and got a real sick feeling in my stomach. He left and my coworkers and I couldn't believe that had just happened.
Now I did read the track. I didn't disagree with it other than it used a lot of words with ith and eth at the end of them(I'm pretty sure this guy was from a KJV or else denomination--not that its a bad thing, but I'm a little more open to other translations). Maybe if I hadn't been on the clock, I would have told this man how inappropriate it was for him to ask me to double check if I know Jesus.
I'm pretty sure it says somewhere to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. Then there's this idea that I agree with where yes you make that big first time decision to follow Jesus, but its a daily decision too. I mean I work to be a excellent as I can be, but I do fail sometimes so I do need to make a concious decision. Keep myself in check.
I do find it funny that the guy felt the need to ask me that. But what erks me the most is that he didn't even believe me. The entire transaction took like 3 minutes. How could he come to the conclusion that I'm a dishonest person in that amount of time?
We(all of us up front at the time it happened) did get a pretty good laugh out of it. At least I did hold my tongue with him and not lash out. I mean it could have gotten ugly.

1 comment:

WICK said...

http://pastorwick.blogspot.com/2008/04/jeff-corwin-experience.html

Had a similar experience earlier this year. :) God bless the track people.