17 September 2008

New Rob Bell book

Sometimes I wonder why I bother reading the new stuff. Especially from him.
I enjoyed Velvet Elvis and didn't like Sex God, so I knew this book could be either. Well it was both.
He does a comparison between Israel and Christians. He makes some good points, but they're all destroyed by repetion and awful writing. Did anybody proof this book? Now I know he writes like he talks(which work in VE), but this was just bad. Everything was hard to follow because of the way it was written. Now maybe he wanted you to have to reread every paragraph or mini sentence. But seriously.
Also he wasted so much paper with that book. There is so much blank space in it. That's probably so I can make my own remarks next to his words, but when I don't own the book then that's pretty pointless space there.
I like the explanation of the 4 periods of Israel and his comparison to other things that have those same 4 periods. But I don't know about him.
Well I actually wanted to stop reading after the 3rd chapter, but knew that people would ask me about so I decided to finish it.
But really... I don't think reading it is necessary.
If you want to read a good book... then try Jesus for President by Shane Claibourne(sp?). But that is just my opinion.

No comments: